EBrittain

Sunday, April 30, 2006

More 1960's Paper Proposal
Roberts, Helen, ed. Doing Feminist Research. Boston: Routledge and Kegan Paul, 1981.

Roberts uses a collection of papers that sociologists have used and influenced feminism. Using personal stories it allows the reader to have a insight on the research that Roberts has found. The basis of the book is divided among theoretical, practical, and ethnical issues of feminism. In doing so, women have become noticeable in society.

Ruether, Radford Rosemary. New Women New Earth: Sexist Ideologies and Human Liberation. New York: The Seabury Press, 1975.

The book is a combination of the issue dealing with sexism. Ruether uses ideologies, and religious beliefs of sexism in order to show the oppression that women have to deal within society. Stereotypes are placed upon women, and women fight against the stereotypes hoping to win. Women who are strong, and able to process a different mindset should be able to be inferior.

Tobias, Sheila. Faces of Feminism: An Activist’s Reflections on the Women’s Movement. United States: Westview Press, 1997.

Shelia Tobia had an active role in the Second Wave Feminism. She feels men and women are able to meet in the middle in terms of process. She fills the readers on the issues of feminism that have been surfacing for decades.


Vidulich, Dorothy. "A radical option for feminist communities.(Statistical Data Included)." National Catholic Reporter 36.24 (April 14, 2000): 25. Expanded Academic ASAP. Thomson Gale. Randolph-Macon College. 12 April 2006 .

Women have gained power within the church. Until about the 1960’s women were not given the opportunity to do much in the church. It was from 1970 on, women were not starting to study theology. Vidulich states, “Not all Catholic women are feminists. But they are theologians.” Yet, now women do not want to take on the role and work beside men.


The source that I found most useful was the Feminist Mystique because it is a primary source, that really gave an insight as to how things were in the 1960’s. Using all of Friedan’s stories, among a lot of other women I felt like I had a strong understanding as to how women felt towards the feminist movement. In the book, I felt like I established an emotional connection with the women because they felt like they did not have self worth. You were able to side with the women, and imagine what that would be like. It is interesting to think back to the 1960’s and how different things would be. I really enjoyed reading this book, and felt like I was able to gain a first hang knowledge from Friedan. There were some sources that I felt were harder for me to get interested in, but the Feminist Mystique really grabbed me into the story. I am not sure if the "A radical option for feminist communities.(Statistical Data Included)" will really help me in my paper, but it was nice to get a different perspective on how women are in the church. I am do not think that I will really have a section on women’s religious involvement for my paper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home