EBrittain

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Is money the root of all evil?
Money does make the world go round, or at least that is what they say. Today our society has become so wrapped in the fact that you have to have money. You turn on the television and see advertisements for the latest cars, clothes, and food. And we wonder why our society is so driven by money? I think that it is sad that money has such an impact on the world. single parent families are already classified as the poorest group in terms of social classes (Garfinkel and McLanahan 1). Single parent families struggle financially on top of all of the other adjustments that stem from a divorce.
My dad did not really show much support in my childhood because nothing that I ever did was good enough. To this day, he still stands by the fact that I am going to be the first of my immediate family to graduate from college, and have grown tremendously from my college experience. Yet somehow none of this is good enough. I feel like my dad always favored my sister which holds truth today. My dad was a waiter at a tavern when my parents were married, it was the income he made that our family lived off of. When my parents divorced, my dad announced that he was going to pick up selling real estate again. He had sold real estate before my parents had met, and never showed an interest in it again until my parents split. My dad is now doing really well in the real estate sales. In fact, there was a huge write up on how successful my dad has become in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago announcing him as the “Platinum Seller.” My mom clued me into the details; she said that in order to receive that title one must sell millions of dollars in property.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home